The Alidosi Palace
Of the first residence of the Alidosi family, "Castrum Rivi", built between the 13th and 14th centuries, the splendid ruins of the Castellaccio remain; Palazzo Alidosi, in the capital, built in the early decades of the sixteenth century, is instead spLlyididly preserved. Discord between the historians about the name of the architect who designed the manor - mentioned Bramante and Francesco da Sangallo, today it is intended for the latter. The building was commissioned initially by Cardinal Francesco Alidosi, with the aim of underlining the solidity of the Alidosi Family's power; it was then continued by Cesare and Rizzardo Alidosi and finally completed towards the 1540. The work began with great availability of means and labor. The initial project involved the construction of a fortress-palace with four very pronounced diamond bastions that enclosed a large courtyard surrounded by a portico of twenty-four columns of sandstone, and a well in the center. A wide moat surrounded the palace and a three-arched bridge allowed access to the palace. To the south, towards the village, a beautiful garden was called the Garden of Delights; in the basements, in addition to the cellars, there were two prisons, for men and one for women. However, the Palazzo remained unfinished: of the four bastions envisaged, only two were built, those still appreciable today. A true Renaissance jewel is the Cortiletto delle Fontane, which houses three beautiful shell-shaped fountains; three sandstone columns support the loggia. Under the sails of the loggia, eight circular niches once housed the marble busts of the most important exponents of the family; today there remains one, that of Lito Alidosi, bishop of Imola and of Cervia in the first half of the '300. The Palace has been completely restored and is now the municipal seat. It also houses the library, the War Museum-Gothic Line, the Animal Tower and the educational center dedicated to the Chestnut tree, a typical fruit tree of the Apennine area.